COVID-19 Update – March 18, 2020
Out of caution and in accordance with direction from Mount Sinai Hospital and the Ontario Medical Association Guidelines regarding COVID-19, Mount Sinai Fertility has made the decision to pause all non-essential services until we are directed that non-essential services may resume. Please read the information below to see how this decision affects your care. Clinical staff will contact patients affected by this decision and will provide instructions on next steps.
• We understand that cancelling or deferring fertility treatments can be very stressful. We are offering counselling sessions to those who need additional support. For more information, please contact our social worker, Jodi Goldstein, at [email protected]
• Patients will be directed to a specific location for care, either our Downtown or Vaughan locations.
• Our Mississauga and North York clinics will temporary close at the end of day as of March 20, 2020.
Contacting the Clinic
• Call 416-586-4748 or e-mail [email protected]
• Please also visit our web site at mountsinaifertility.com for regular updates.
IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) Treatment Cycles
• We will not be starting any new IVF cycles until further notice.
• We will continue IVF treatments for anyone who has started injectable stimulation medications, however we will be freezing all embryos.
• If you have started priming, your treatment cycle will be deferred and you will be contacted by the fertility care team regarding next steps. Your name will be placed on a list and we will notify you once we are directed to resume services.
• Patients on a funded IVF wait list will retain their placement on the list and we will notify you once we are directed to resume services.
• Patients who wish to proceed with a self-pay IVF cycle at a later date will be placed on the list we will notify you once we are directed to resume services.
Embryo Transfers (Frozen, Fresh, and Donor/Frozen egg cycles)
• We are pausing all fresh and frozen embryo transfer cycles.
• We will not be starting any new FET cycles until further notice. Your name will be placed on a list and we will notify you we once we are directed to resume services.
IUI (Intrauterine Insemination) Treatment Cycles
• We are pausing all in progress IUI and Donor IUI treatment cycles.
• We will not be starting any new IUI or donor IUI cycles until further notice. Your name will be placed on a list and we will notify you once we are directed to resume services.
Intercourse Cycles (IC)
• We are pausing monitoring for all intercourse (IC) cycles until further notice.
Elective Egg Freezing Treatment Cycles
• We will not be starting any new elective egg freezing treatment cycles until further notice. Your name will be placed on a list and we will notify you we will notify you once we are directed to resume services.
Oncology and Urgent Fertility Preservation
• Egg freezing for oncology or urgent medical fertility preservation will continue.
• Sperm Banking for oncology or urgent medical fertility preservation will continue.
• Diagnostic/office hysteroscopy, operative hysteroscopy, sonohysterogram, and AFC (antral follicle count) ultrasounds will be cancelled until further notice.
• Collection of non-urgent blood work including Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH), infectious disease screening, and hormones will be paused at the clinic until further notice.
• We will not be continuing any Endometrial Receptivity Analysis (ERA) cycles. We will contact patients to review plans for their ERA cycles.
• Pregnancy blood test monitoring and early pregnancy ultrasounds will continue.
Questions about pregnancy and COVID-19
• We do not know at this time if COVID-19 causes problems during pregnancy or affects the health of the baby after birth. We will continue to monitor patients in the early stages of their pregnancy. Some useful information can be found on the website of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). www.cdc.gov
Questions about the Mount Sinai Fertility’s Response to COVID-19
• If you have general questions about our response to COVID-19, please refer to our website for ongoing updates. If the information you require is not available on our website, you may also call 416-586-4748 or e-mail [email protected]
What is Mount Sinai Fertility (MSF) doing to protect patients?
MSF is guided by the hospital and has put in place a number of measures to ensure safety of staff and patients. We are:
• Pausing non-essential treatments to reduce risk
• Monitoring information about COVID-19 published by Public Health Authorities and Mount Sinai Hospital
• Informing patients about COVID-19 and any associated risks as they become known
• Screening patients coming to MSF clinics, as directed by Mount Sinai Hospital
• Continuing to uphold our vigorous standards for cleaning and disinfecting within all clinic locations
• Meeting regularly with hospital staff to assess and adapt to changing circumstances
• Informing MSF staff and patients about taking appropriate precautions